Friday, June 26, 2009

Sad news

Yes, we're back from Wimberley and Cabo, but first....

Looking back on this week, it's kinda sad. Many deaths occurred- some expected and some not.

While working at Oleson Elementary one of my 4th grade team leaders was Mrs. Martha Wernick. She was wonderful and reminded me so much of my maternal grandmother. Mrs. Wernick loved her granddaughter, her bright yellow Mustang, and Oleson. Sadly a few years back, Mrs. Wernick had to stop working with us due to a brain tumor. Being the fighter that she is, she lived a year longer than expected but left us last Friday. Unfortunately, with me being out of town, I couldn't attend the services. I hope the Wernick family knows that I'm thinking of them.

Then yesterday in Cabo, I woke up from a nap, turned on the TV, and was sad to learn that both Michael Jackson and Farrah had passed. I later learned in a text from Mom that Ed McMahon died as well.

I know, I know, Michael was a bit strange but those weren't my first thoughts when I heard of this icon passing. I remember his music that my brother and I love! Some of my earliest memories involve being scared of the Thriller video. We lived in California when I was in kindergarten, and my best friend at the time was Kelly. Her older brother, Brian, would watch the Thriller video and it scared me to death. Hearing the beginning of that song scared me for years; now I think of the weddings I've been to where we all have a great time trying to remember each step to the dance! Today when I hear a Michael Jackson song I usually think of my brother singing, at the top of his lungs, all the songs off the Bad album while in his room; I swear he thought he was going to be the next big thing. Last night, Cary and I decided to slip into the Disco at the resort in Cabo and dance awhile to the Michael Jackson tribute they were playing. Great fun!

What ever your thoughts of Michael, we've lost someone that was an American icon. He seemed to have a very sad life, but hopefully now when people think of him the music and memories, like I described, will be what they remember.

I wouldn't say Farrah had much influence on my generation, but we all knew who she was. It was sad to read of the painful cancer that was taking this beautiful woman from her loved ones. Hopefully now she is pain free.

Who knows, Mrs. Wernick could be out there dancing with Michael and Farrah right now!

Coming soon: Wimberley and Cabo pictures

1 comment:

Linda Jo said...

Yes....all very sad. Glad you got to dance!